Staging Your Home For Sale: Wilmington NC Real Estate
Getting your home ready for sale requires more than signing a listing agreement with a Realtor. In order to create maximum appeal and desirability, some well thought our preparations can make a big difference in whether you get top dollar for you home or possibly if you can even sell it at all.
Here is a list of basic suggestions for getting a top return.
- De-clutter and depersonalize: Rent a storage building if necessary and remove all extra furniture, décor, collections, etc. Remove anything that could possibly cause a negative opinion of you (like political signs). Get the collection of family photos, frogs and teacups put away. Clear off countertops and leave most open flat surfaces minimally decorated or empty. Less is more-the less stuff in your home, the larger and more inviting it will be. Get rid of aged window coverings. Consult with Strickland’s Window Coverings if you are in our area.
- Paint: neutral colors work best. They don’t restrict the vision of people who will always have their own tastes in mind. Use flat paint on most walls and satin in the baths and kitchen. This is one of the best returns on investment.
- Kitchen: If needed, update appliances. Make sure cabinets are in good shape or paint/ replace front if needed. Replace older drawer pulls, and plumbing and lighting fixtures as needed. Clear the counter tops of small appliances, utensil containers, etc. A bowl of lemons and a wine rack will stage it just fine.
- Baths: make sure grout is clean and vanities are in good shape. Replace faucets and lighting if it is outdated.
- Closets and cabinets: clean ‘em out! Make sure they are neat, tidy, and have plenty of unused space. Put seasonal items in storage if needed. If a buyer sees you have a space issue, they will assume it will be a problem for them as well.
- Kids rooms: It is a great time to organize the young ones. They will love it (but will not keep it that way). Work out a reward system with them to help keep the house and their room clean.
- CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN-there is no bigger turn off than a dirty kitchen or bathroom. Everything should get a deep cleaning and then maintain it until you sell.
- Vacant properties do not show as well as staged properties. Services like Just Perfect Home Staging do wonders for empty homes and can also help you use your own items in creative and effective ways. This is always worth the modest price.
These days it is a price war and a beauty contest between home sellers. These tips will help you shine and move to the front of the line so you can sell for the most money in the least amount of time!
Wilmington NC Real Estate Sales - Chris Baynes REALTOR Chris Baynes and Associates is one of the areas most successful Realtor Teams. We specialize in helping buyers and sellers with real estate services in the greater Wilmington NC area including Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Castle Hayne, Hampstead, Leland, Belville, New Hanover County, Brunswick County and Pender County, and all Wilmington NC Real Estate. (910) 470-4408